Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Traverse City State Park - August 2-4, 2013

After taking a month off from camping, we finally hit the road once again. It seemed WAY overdue. It was just a quick weekend trip to Traverse City State Park but we packed a lot into a three day weekend. The state park itself was ok. A friend of ours told us what to expect, so my expectations weren't very high. This park has over 400 sites and they really pack you in. The staff was great and the people around us were very nice. We really just slept there as we had a lot of exploring to do. I was really surprised how quiet it got at night. I had figured with all those people it would be pretty loud, but it was a pretty mellow crowd. The whole weekend was perfect. At night it got chilly and we actually had to use a fleece blanket on our bed, but it was nice not to have to run the air conditioning.

On Saturday, we visited the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. We took a scenic drive through the park that had 12 or 13 different stops. The most impressive was the sand dune area. It was a beautiful day and I took well over 100 photos in our very short time there. We also watched the sun set along Lake Michigan both Friday and Saturday night, so I took several photos of that as well.

I'm still amazed at the beauty of our State of Michigan. I've been to Traverse City several times, but never to the national lakeshore. It was one of the most beautiful places I've been, yet. I still cannot comprehend where all that sand came from, though (LOL)! I think if I ever get around to writing my book, this is going to be the place to write it. There's nothing like sitting on a white sandy beach listening to the waves of Lake Michigan lap on the shoreline to provide me with the inspiration that I need to start writing.

We came home with 10 pounds of blueberries, 3 pounds of cherries, 2 bottles of cherry sangria and a bundle of home grown lavender. Love this time of year in Michigan!

Below are some of my photos.  Until next time....

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore


Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Sunset on the shores of Lake Michigan

Sunset on the shores of Lake Michigan

Sunset on the shores of Lake Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment