Sunday, June 8, 2014

Holy Mosquitos - Pokagon State Park

Site 452 at Pokagon State Park in Angola, IN
Our next weekend (May 30, 31, and June 1) adventure took us to Pokagon State Park in Angola, Indiana. We planned this weekend back in January with some of our oldest friends. This trip is the third time we have camped at this park and we were able to get our favorite spot again. Site 452 is located in campground #4 on its own half circle with just a half dozen sites on the entire loop. The site itself is located on a small hill that overlooks the rest of the sites and has good morning sun, but plenty of afternoon shade.

There are several activities at this park. We spent Saturday at the beach on Lake St. James which is located within the state park. The weather was beautiful and even warm enough for a little swimming. I wasn't really planning on swimming but the water was really nice. We took our bikes but didn't take them out
Lake St. James at Pokagon State Park
of the truck. The park does have a nice paved bike path but we never tried it out.

On Saturday evening, we headed to Clay's Family Restaurant in Fremont, Indiana. We had eaten here the last time we camped at Pokagon. It is only a couple miles from the park and the food is really good. What's even better is that on any given day they have at least 10 homemade pies on hand for dessert. I had the best peanut pie EVER! I had ordered it to go as I was pretty full from their fish fry but as soon as I saw it I had to at least try one bite. Well, one bite turned into several more that just melted in my mouth. It was delicious!

My only issue the whole weekend were those pesky mosquitos, but I guess that goes right along with camping. They must grow them big in Indiana because these mosquitos could carry a small person away. They were huge. My ankles have never had so many bites. I applied and reapplied bug spray at least a dozen times each night, but that didn't seem to slow them down. I finally just held a citronella candle and that seemed to do the trick. Mosquitos have always loved me and I think they always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment