Thursday, July 8, 2021

Oh Michigan!

We hit the road again on Saturday, June 19 for a 17-day road trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan and then home through Wisconsin. Last year, we had this trip planned, but Covid happened and we had to cancel.

Thankfully, we were able to get into all the same state parks that we wanted. We figured we probably won't make it back to the western upper peninsula for a while so we were happy that we could go to all the  places we wanted. 

We did a quick stop at my brother's property in Clare, MI overnight. We were greeted by his new security guard and found some new decorations at the property. They are always adding new and fun things around. 

The new security at my Brother's property.

Looks like Barbie is having a great time and
so does everyone else when they visit!

The next morning we were back on the road and heading for the upper peninsula. Many of you know my fear of bridges, so I was already anticipating the drive across "The Mighty Mac!" It was a gorgeous day with very little wind, so I was very thankful for that. I'm happy to report that this was the second time in my 47 years that I kept my eyes open as we crossed. Jimmy asked me to take some pictures along the way, so that kept my occupied. 

The Mighty Mac

The view is pretty spectacular!

Super proud that I kept my eyes open!


Our second stop on our 17-day trip was at Indian Lake State Park in Manistique, MI. Our campsite was right on Indian Lake and it was just beautiful until Monday morning when the temperatures dipped to 39 DEGREES (Oh Michigan!) and we had driving rain with a very sharp 40 mph wind off the lake. I can't even begin to tell you that I'm glad this wind wasn't on Sunday as we were crossing the Mackinaw Bridge. I would have been freaking out for sure! I'm super glad that I packed for almost every season. My coat came in handy!


Indian Lake

Indian Lake 

Indian Lake State Park • Site 62

The wind finally calmed down and the sun came out so we quickly ventured out to one of the upper peninsula's biggest attractions, The Big Springs, otherwise know as Kitch-iti-kipi. This freshwater spring has a self-operated observation deck that takes visitors across the spring. The water is so clear that you can see the fish and the actual springs themselves bubbling up. It is a must if you are ever in the area!



The self-operated platform at Kitch-iti-kipi.

Looking down into the crystal clear water.

Our captain!

Kitch-iti-kipi

Another highlight of this stop was getting our first (and only) pasty. We were really looking forward to this treat and it didn't disappoint. 

Our one and only pasty. 

Our adventure will continue as we travel to McLain State Park in Hancock, MI. In the meantime, stay safe and happy camping!

2 comments: