Saturday, June 23, 2018

Did You Miss Me?

It seems that we get a later and later camping start each year. Once again, the Michigan winter seemed super long and the spring weather was very unpredictable. Then, life happens and different commitments and circumstances beyond our control made us cancel two scheduled trips already for this year.

It seems that the best camping trips are the spur of the moment ones that aren't necessarily planned out way in advance.

Last weekend we finally broke the Pod free from her LONG, winter nap and travelled 12.4 miles down the road to Totem Pole Campground in the big city of Petersburg, MI with my brother, sister-in-law, their dog, Louie and my mom. (Yes, I said my mom)! At the age of 83, she said that she had never been camping before and we figured there was no better time than the present for her to give it a whirl.

Friday night, my sister-in-law, Nancy made a delicious foil-packet dinner of sausage, potatoes, onions and peppers. It was delicious! She also introduced us to a new shot of Crown Royal Whiskey, Peach Schnapps and Ginger Ale. I'm not a fan of peach flavored things, but I will say this hit the spot on a warm summer night!

My brother jumped (I don't mean this literally...see the picture below) and cooked us a traditional Saturday morning breakfast with all the fixings. Then for dinner, the husband took over and made a variety of campfire pies (pizza, ham and cheese followed by blueberry pie for dessert). We were trying to give mom a good "taste" of camping. Mission Accomplished!

Here's some highlights from our weekend:


The Pod on Site 7 at Totem Pole Campground.

Mom, Brother and Husband relaxing before dinner.
(and my brother's dog, Louie, is underneath the blanket
on Mom's lap. That's one spoil pooch right there)!

Time for the husband to start the campfire pie dinner
on Saturday night.

Mom, Brother and our four-legged friend, Louie, relaxing
under a beautiful shade tree.

Saturday morning chef in action!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you out camping again, I know you were ready to go. So great that you took your mom too!!! Have fun and Pod ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just catching up on your travels! Looks like you guys had a great summer. Hard to believe it is time for school to start again. Hope you both have a great start to the new year! Give Jackson a pet (or 2) from me!

      Delete